Panel Replacement. All at once or??

Perfromance and Technical discussions about C3 Corvettes
darrenx33
Tell us about your Corvette: 1972 Corvette - Garage find. Base 350. Warbonnet Yellow/Saddle Leather

Panel Replacement. All at once or??

Post by darrenx33 »

So using the project as a reference, a good one I must say. I will be working on my 72 Vette which got rear ended last year in traffic. Bumpers pushed in and shattered the tail panel up thru the tail lights and bumpers pulled out the fiberglass on the side (quarters). Because I discovered that my car was hit and poorly repaired at one time I decided to do new quarters and tail panel rather than try and glass my repairs as well as someone elses hacky work. Top deck is fine.

My question is. Do I pull all the panels off and then put the replacements on? Or do I do one at a time and use the others as a guide? If so, which panel should I start with? Thanks in advance.

MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Re: Panel Replacement. All at once or??

Post by MaineVette »

Ugh! :ack: Sorry to hear about the accident, that's not cool. There are way too many crappy drivers on the road. Hopefully their insurance paid for the damages.

Anyway, I assume you plan to replace both rear fenders, the tail lamp panel and the rear valence panel. If it were me I'd do all panels at the same time. That will allow the rear deck to serve as a reference and also give you the flexibility to tweak the alignment of each panel to get the best fit possible. It's going to take some time and coordination but I didn't find the process to be too difficult - you just need to be logical in your approach.

The temporary attachment method I used while fitting up the panels, and while allowing the panel adhesive to cure, is outlined on this page: http://www.corvette-restoration.com/res ... lation.htm

Happy to answer any other questions you might have!
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com
darrenx33
Tell us about your Corvette: 1972 Corvette - Garage find. Base 350. Warbonnet Yellow/Saddle Leather

Post by darrenx33 »

So I will remove all the panels. Rear drivers fender, Tail, rear passenger fender. Then I will install in same order of removal. Sound reasonable? I'm not sure if it would make a difference where we started as far as first panel to install , etc..

Thanks again for your efforts. I've been studying your work and my 16 year old son and I are looking forward to getting this job done.
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 2001 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/350 hp Automatic,
1968 Full Custom Mako Shark Convertible, 454/425 hp, Muncie M20 Transmission. 1965 HP Resto-Mod Coupe, 350/390 hp, Kiesler 5-Speed, FiTech FI, Hedman headers, Edelbrock heads, Comp Cam.

Post by rbryce1 »

The key will be to assemble EVERYTHING, right panel, left panel, rear panel, match them together and match them to the top deck panel, match them to the bumper brackets, match them to the inner fender wells, everything that must be assembled together must work BEFORE YOU USE ANY ADHESIVE!

If you install any single part with adhesive and then find out later something won't fit because one part was 1/2" out of place, you will be pis*ed. Ask me how I know.

I didn't install the parts (in my car's case, the front inner fenderwells), but I paid the price of someone elses screw-up. It is documented well over many pages of my thread.

They affected the positioning of my front bumpers, front grill, hood, hood hinges had to be modified, lower splash shields and more. All this because of 1/2" misplacement.

Do it like Tim and it will come out fine. :thumbs:
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MaineVette »

Also, you should be aware that the replacement panels you buy will likely need to be trimmed to length. For example, the fenders will need to be trimmed along the door jamb. You'll definitely want to dry fit everything together before using adhesive. I anticipate it'll take a fair bit of trial and error.
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com
darrenx33

Post by darrenx33 »

I imagine that dry fitting the 3 panels will be tough as there will be limited clamp points with all panels in place. Or am I wrong?
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MaineVette »

darrenx33 wrote: May 15th, 2017 4:57 pm I imagine that dry fitting the 3 panels will be tough as there will be limited clamp points with all panels in place. Or am I wrong?
You're absolutely right. I gave up on the clams, I would have spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on clamps. I decided to go with temporary screws and then simply patched the holes.

Check out this update, and the few that follow, which outlines my process:

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/res ... ation.htm

darrenx33

Post by darrenx33 »

Started stripping paint. This look like factory work?

MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MaineVette »

The bonding seam and body panels looks like factory work to me. However, the body filler on top of the fiberglass panels does not. To my knowledge they didn't use grey primer from the factory, it was a red primer. Therefore, someone obviously repainted the car some time ago. That's probably when the body filler was added.

Also, to my knowledge they did not use body filler at the factory, at least not to any significant degree. The body panels and jigs were devised to fit up accurately and quickly so that the widespread use of body filler would not be required. It would have been too slow and labor intensive.

darrenx33

Post by darrenx33 »

Drivers side off.