68 Corvette Temperature Gage Malfunction

Perfromance and Technical discussions about C3 Corvettes
BlakeV94
Tell us about your Corvette: 1968 Corvette 327

68 Corvette Temperature Gage Malfunction

Post by BlakeV94 »

I currently am restoring a 1968 corvette 327. I bought a new temperature sensor and gauge, and still the temperature gauge wont go past a 100 degrees. When grounding the green wire the temperature gauge will move slightly with engine hot. The resistors are all in place correctly. Can any one help tell me what I am doing wrong. The previous own put new heads on the car and the temperature sensor is in the thermostat housing instead of the cylinder head. I think that could possibly be the problem but am unsure. Any tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Re: 68 Corvette Temperature Gage Malfunction

Post by MaineVette »

Have you verified the gauge is properly and adequately grounded? Also, are you sure the wiring is intact with no broken or frayed wires? That could be causing a loss of signal. Perhaps you can run some temporary replacement wires to see if that fixes the problem.

What specific gauge and temperature sensor did you get? Maybe they aren't compatible for some reason?
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com
BlakeV94
Tell us about your Corvette: 1968 Corvette 327

Post by BlakeV94 »

I bought the original gauge and trying a new temperature sensor. Its a whole new harness as well so its not that. It is also grounded properly.
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Post by MaineVette »

Is the original gauge new, or used? Is the temperature gauge OEM? I'm just trying to troubleshoot this. If you have a new harness your ground and signal is good. It must be either the gauge or the sensor.

I assume you're car is running more than 100 degrees... If you're not positive of this dunk the temperature sensor in a pot of boiling water and verify what it says. Should say 212 degrees.
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com
vito
Senior Corvette Addict
Senior Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 1972 Stingray Convertible , BB 454, 4-Speed.

Post by vito »

Here is a video from Willcox on troubling shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9iPeiu9Y8M

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Vito