Insulation / Sound Dampening

Post your ideas and suggestions for the site here
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 2001 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/350 hp Automatic,
1968 Full Custom Mako Shark Convertible, 454/425 hp, Muncie M20 Transmission. 1965 HP Resto-Mod Coupe, 350/390 hp, Kiesler 5-Speed, FiTech FI, Hedman headers, Edelbrock heads, Comp Cam.

Insulation / Sound Dampening

Post by rbryce1 »

Look into a product called "Lizardskin". It is a two part (one is sound dampening and the other ceramic thermal)spray on material that radically dampens sound/noise inside the car and provides a superb heat shield for the car as well. Easy to spray on, need a thickness of about a credit card thickness. Go to their web site at http://www.lizardskin.com. I'm using both sound and ceramic on my 68. If you have never driven your car in the summer heat (don't know if you have before you started your restoration), Chevrolet did not do a very good job insulating the C3 Vette. This stuff seals it up and insulates like crazy. Let me know what you think.
nwav8tor
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe that's been in the family since new. Was "stored" in a shed in New England for 22 years. Even though I have limited knowledge and experience, I'm SLOWLY doing a body off restoration. Standby for many questions!

Re: Insulation / Sound Dampening

Post by nwav8tor »

HAve you personally used this already or know anyone that has applied it to a vette? All I read about its application was to primed steel, aluminum or stainless steel... How well does it adhere to fiberglass and are the sound and heat control performance the same on fiberglass vs. metal?

Paul
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
1968 Full Custom Mako Shark Convertible, 454/425 hp, Muncie M20 Transmission. 1965 HP Resto-Mod Coupe, 350/390 hp, Kiesler 5-Speed, FiTech FI, Hedman headers, Edelbrock heads, Comp Cam.

Post by rbryce1 »

Yes, it will work on fiberglass, especially corvettes. Lizard Skin say's the sound dampener or ceramic will work on just about any material, as long as it is applied to the minumum thickness (about the thickness of a credit card). Glass MUST be clean, no road dirt, oil, etc. New glass must be scuffed up. My dealer in Florida recommends going over everything with a scotchbright pad, but any similar method will work. I have not used it yet, but have purchased it (both sound dampener and ceramic and their spray gun) and will be applying it as soon as the glass is ready.

Here is a link for Corvette Fever listing Lizard Skin in their "The '10 Corvette Fever Vette Rod Source Guide"

http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticl ... erica.html

Another site, look at this web site of a 77 convertible restore. They used it and shows pictures of the inside as well as the bottom.

http://www.vettemod.org/

Here is a second site I found. He says somewhere in the middle of the list of photos he is using Lizard skin, and shows what looks like it installed.

http://www.1-4u-computer-graphics.com/c ... 3646387/90

A third site is a C2 restoration at the "Corvette Center" in Connecticut (I've been there while I was stationed in Connecticut in the Navy). They use Lizard Skin on pretty high end restorations.

http://www.richsclassiccorvettes.com/We ... ject.shtml

There are many more sites referencing Lizard Skin on corvettes, do a search on "Lizard Skin Corvettes to see more. Hope this helps answer your question.
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Post by MaineVette »

That's an interesting product, I hadn't heard of it before. I can see how it would significanty dampen heat if it is a cermaic based product (much like ceramic coating on headers). At about $400 it's definitely not cheap though!

I haven't decided what to use once I do my interior but I'll definitely keep this in mind. When the time comes I'll definitely have to do more research. Thanks for the lead! :thumbs:

Tim
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com
Tony 74
Tell us about your Corvette: G'day all. Bought a 74 coupe from Japan.350 auto not running. currently doing full body off restoration. Fully sanded body back to glass, just about to paint. Never driven a corvette, getting closer every day, cant wait.

Post by Tony 74 »

Have any of you guys Heard of or use hushmat insulation sorry i cant give a link but im only new to this.
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Post by MaineVette »

Tony 74 wrote:Have any of you guys Heard of or use hushmat insulation sorry i cant give a link but im only new to this.
Nope, never heard of it. Have you seen it used before?

I'm thinking that I'm going to use a combination approach to this. A foil backed insulation to cut down on heat transfer, and something like normal jute padding to cut down on noise. Still don't have it totally figured out yet though.
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com
Tony 74
Tell us about your Corvette: G'day all. Bought a 74 coupe from Japan.350 auto not running. currently doing full body off restoration. Fully sanded body back to glass, just about to paint. Never driven a corvette, getting closer every day, cant wait.

Post by Tony 74 »

Tim,
Hush matt is advertised in the corvette centeral and eckler catalogs .
All this insulation is costly . It would be nice to hear from some one who has used it.
Tony 74

Post by Tony 74 »

Found the link i was looking for ,
https://www.stage1customs.com/index.php ... mat&id=172
Probably havn't put it in properly. but if any one wishes to follow up they can.
Regards from Oz,
Tony.
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict

Post by rbryce1 »

MaineVette wrote:That's an interesting product, I hadn't heard of it before. I can see how it would significanty dampen heat if it is a cermaic based product (much like ceramic coating on headers). At about $400 it's definitely not cheap though!

Tim
Tim,

Most of the insulation packages you can purchase will run you about 100-200 bucks. They do not do both sound deadening and heat insulating. My car, as well as yours is going to run me about 15,000 to 18,000 bucks to complete the restoration. Are you implying that 200-400 bucks for something that will make or break the pleasure of riding in your car later is a hefty cost in relation to the overall project??? (Confusus say: Careful young Jedi, there is never enough time or money to do it right, but there is always enough time and money to do it over!!)
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict

Post by rbryce1 »

Sprayed the Lizard Skin Sound Control to the interior of my 68 over the weekend. So far, I am greatly impressed with the product. Came out great. It was a lot easier to apply than I thought. Since it is all waterbased, just needed water to clean up everything. I will post photos of the Sound Control this evening and after I apply the Lizard Skin Ceramic Coating this weekend.