Frame Repair

Perfromance and Technical discussions about C3 Corvettes
Joeglia
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Corvette

Frame Repair

Post by Joeglia »

I have a 1971 Convertible that is in need of some frame repair. I purchased some 48" frame repair sections from Paragon and they came with a Jack Gusset. Does anyone know where this jack gusset should be placed/welded? I can share a picture if it would help. I have looked in many many old manuals for this year car and could not find any part that looks like this. Paragon could not even explain where this component should be placed. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
nwav8tor
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe that's been in the family since new. Was "stored" in a shed in New England for 22 years. Even though I have limited knowledge and experience, I'm SLOWLY doing a body off restoration. Standby for many questions!

Re: Frame Repair

Post by nwav8tor »

a picture of the piece would certainly help.

The frame arch below the radiator fan is commonly damaged when (incorrectly) used as a jacking point to raise both front wheels with one jack. Could your piece be some sort of non-standard fix for that?

Paul
a66toy
Tell us about your Corvette: It's a 66 toy. and I drive it.

Post by a66toy »

I went to the Paragon site and looked at the frame repair section. It appears as if you received the two piece 48" rail repair section and a (about) 6" inner repair sleeve that will be used on the inside of the frame to connect the 48" section to the existing frame. then you have the end cap that goes about a1/4" on the inside of the rail in front of the rear tire and a piece that is similar to this end cap that will go about 4" +/_ in front of the end cap on the inside of the frame rail. When you take apart the frame it will be self explanatory. Hint---when you weld the 48" rails together make sure that the inner pieces fit the opening, other wise you will have to grind them to make them fit. Hope this helps.
Joeglia
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Corvette

Post by Joeglia »

Thank you. That is exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate your input on this topic