Front & rear suspension questions

Perfromance and Technical discussions about C3 Corvettes
1974warwickvette
Tell us about your Corvette: 1974 L82 4 speed coupe

Front & rear suspension questions

Post by 1974warwickvette »

I just finished installing all new front suspension parts including new coil springs. I noticed the front wheels camber is now positive as the top of the wheel is leaning out at the top. I replaced the old shims with new SS shims of the same thickness. Using the old shims as a guide for the new shim thickness. When measuring the distance to the bottom of the rear side of the front wheel well & floor I have 10-1/4". There is way to much space between the top of the wheel and wheel well. Is this just a factor of all new parts requiring the camber adjustment by modifying the top A are shims? Or did I do something wrong.
The rear looks good but I noticed that when I have the car jacked up. I can for lack of a better term wiggle/twist the wheel in and out top to bottom. Refurbished trailing arms with new bushings and the new SS shims installed to the same thickness as the old. Is this normal or a problem. this occurs on both sides more wiggle on the passenger side than the driver side.
any help is appreciated.
Regards,
Eric
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 2001 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/350 hp Automatic,
1968 Full Custom Mako Shark Convertible, 454/425 hp, Muncie M20 Transmission. 1965 HP Resto-Mod Coupe, 350/390 hp, Kiesler 5-Speed, FiTech FI, Hedman headers, Edelbrock heads, Comp Cam.

Re: Front & rear suspension questions

Post by rbryce1 »

Anytime you replace springs, front or rear, you should follow it up with a 4 wheel alignment, as the wheel geometry most likely has changed. Simply installing the old shims or new ones of the same size will not do it in most cases.

Not really sure what you mean by having "wiggle" in the rear wheels in the in and out top to bottom direction. I assume you meant you replaced rubber trailing arm bushings. This "wiggle" sounds like bad wheel bearings, which C3 Corvettes are notorious for, especially if you run wider wheels than stock. I would have them checked as soon as possible.
1974warwickvette
Tell us about your Corvette: 1974 L82 4 speed coupe

Re: Front & rear suspension questions

Post by 1974warwickvette »

rbryce,
Thank you for your reply. I had Vtech, rebuild my trailing arms including the hub assemblies with new routers and parking brake assemblies. When I have the car jacked up I hold the tire at the top and bottom, pushing the top and pulling on the bottom, then reverse the pull push. both trailing arms move at the trailing arm bushings. Again the shims were installed in the same thickness as the originals. I don't know of this movement, twisting type movement of the trailing arms at the bushings is normal play given the new bushings are rubber. I did not have them upgraded to neoprene. i'm ready to take the car for a 4 wheel alignment and want to make sure the new work is ok to have the alignment.
Regards,
Eric