'65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

General discussion about C3 Corvettes
nwav8tor
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe that's been in the family since new. Was "stored" in a shed in New England for 22 years. Even though I have limited knowledge and experience, I'm SLOWLY doing a body off restoration. Standby for many questions!

Re: '65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

Post by nwav8tor »

ROAD TRIP! Hope it's safe and productive. Can't wait to see the finished product...
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 2001 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/350 hp Automatic,
1968 Full Custom Mako Shark Convertible, 454/425 hp, Muncie M20 Transmission. 1965 HP Resto-Mod Coupe, 350/390 hp, Kiesler 5-Speed, FiTech FI, Hedman headers, Edelbrock heads, Comp Cam.

Post by rbryce1 »

Back from Charleston after dropping the Vette off at Jamison's Custom Corvette. Left early Sunday morning around 4:00 AM and made it to Charleston around 1:00 PM. Got a hotel and relaxed the rest of the day. Monday morning I arrived at Jamison's to drop off the car. As always, his shop is FILLED with amazing Corvettes, almost all were C1, C2 and C3 vintage and one C4. Lots of C1's and C2's.

20230403_094755.jpg

20230403_094758.jpg

20230403_094803.jpg

20230403_094820.jpg

20230403_094830.jpg

That's my truck outside the door!

20230403_094832.jpg

After we unloaded the car, we parked it outside until they made room for it inside. Got back on the road and made it home the same day around 7:00 PM. All went well. My guess is they will start on the rear quarter panels this week sometime then move onto the front. Looking forward to photos as they progress.
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
1968 Full Custom Mako Shark Convertible, 454/425 hp, Muncie M20 Transmission. 1965 HP Resto-Mod Coupe, 350/390 hp, Kiesler 5-Speed, FiTech FI, Hedman headers, Edelbrock heads, Comp Cam.

Post by rbryce1 »

Kerry let me know about 3 weeks ago that he may have a line on a pair of good doors at another Corvette shop in Sumter, S.C. He was going to go up there last week to look at them, but Kerry's father, John Jamison, passed away right before that. So now God's Corvettes are finally getting fixed right. Sure will miss him. It's understandable that I have not yet heard from Kerry, I'm sure once things get back on track I will.
nwav8tor
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe that's been in the family since new. Was "stored" in a shed in New England for 22 years. Even though I have limited knowledge and experience, I'm SLOWLY doing a body off restoration. Standby for many questions!

Post by nwav8tor »

I was wondering yesterday what was going on with your vette - and now this update...

Sorry to hear about John

My condolances to Kerry and his family.

Let us know what pans out with those doors.

Finally plan to get back to work on mine this week - - - baby steps!

Paul
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict

Post by rbryce1 »

I did not want to bother Kerry during the past few weeks, but I decided to message him this morning about the doors he had a line on. I have not seen any photos yet, but he said a pair of 1975 doors at his friend Bill's Corvette shop in Sumter S.C. checked out and he got them for me. Happy to have a pair of doors with the side protection steel plate, which 68-72 did not have. These are not my doors, but it does show the steel plate inside the door.

Door2.JPG

door3.JPG

One more problem checked off the list! I did not want to check on the progress on the car, as I'm sure Kerry will let me know when there is something to show. I'm sure he has more pressing issues with other customer cars, and while I do want my car done, I don't need it done immediately like some of his other customers probably do. As Yoda would say, Patience young Jedi!
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict

Post by rbryce1 »

Kerry called me yesterday with a project update. Things are getting back in motion in his shop since his father's passing and he said he has another new guy starting as well, which may put him back to full power real soon. :thumbs: :thumbs: :Hurray:

As far as my car, he is working on the new doors. They have a little rust, but not much. He cleaned the rust where he could and treated all the metal parts in the door including the side collision plate with rust inhibitor, then they will be coating the interior and exterior of the doors with epoxy primer. Once the doors are reconditioned, they will be mounting them on the car so the front and rear body panels and the doors can be properly aligned. :) :)

On the rear of the car, all the past custom body work building the rear fender flares (not done by them, but by another shop in Virginia right after I got the car) has built up so many layers of fiberglass on the inner skirt behind the wheels to where he does not even know what shape to grid the skirts to receive the new fenders properly. The solution he wants to do and I agreed completely, cut them out and replace them with the correct parts. Once the new inner skirts come in, work will start on installing the new rear quarter panels. :drool:

On the front of the car, there is a fiberglass mounting bracket that is fastened to the birdcage which receives the body. When my car was modified to have the tilt nose back in the 70's, this part was removed, but now we need it.

Screenshot 2023-06-01 074159.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-01 074159.jpg (75.25 KiB) Viewed 22584 times

Kerry is in the process of getting these and once they get here, work can progress on the Mako nose install. :cheers:

The real kicker is, after he told me about needing these parts and I saw what they looked like, these parts were on the tilt nose part of my original front end, and, not realizing they would be needed, they were thrown away with the rest of the tilt nose. :mad: :bang:

Oh well, they probably would have been hacked up trying to get them off anyway, better to start with new ones. :agree:

I am happy with the progress and really happy Kerry doesn't cut corners. If the body's foundation parts, even though you cannot see them when it is finished, are not right, that will lead to problems later, which I don't want to deal with. It may cost a bit more now, but you know the old saying, there is never enough time and money to do it right, but there always seems to be enough time and money to do it over! :rolleyes:

Also, his new lift is installed. This one is a drive on type instead of the type that has arms lifting the car by the frame. Definite advantages to have each type, and now he has both. :cool:
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict

Post by rbryce1 »

Talked with Kerry about the progress on my car. The doors are complete and he needed the door shims. I found 12 shims and sent them to him. Glad he asked instead of just buying them, as they are expensive as hell. One is livable, 12 are around $75 plus shipping!!! :ack:

The parts he needed have arrived, but progress is going slow, and for an understandable reason. They are working on installing the new rear quarter panels. The custom work the asshole in Virginia did when back in 1971 when he built my rear wheel well flares is confusing to Kerry, and he must be very careful in disassembly so nothing is damaged that will be expensive to correct. I explained to Kerry that they simply added a pile of fiberglass powder and resin (mud) to the body and shaped it with a grinder. The original body panel is under there somewhere, and they must grind their way down to it and remove what is left of the original panel without going too far and damaging any supports. The issue is, the original fiberglass body panel and the added fiberglass "mud" they used to construct the fender flare is very difficult to tell apart. So far, Kerry is the only one with the experience to do this, and he has a lot of other things on his plate. I told him I would rather have him do it even if it is slow instead of someone who is good, but not as experienced possibly damaging something that will then need repaired or worse, replaced. He has everything identified except where the quarter panel joins the rear door jamb. That is what he is working on now. Once the original panel is identified and removed, his guys can then go to work and install the new panels. Then things should move much faster.
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict

Post by rbryce1 »

Work is now progressing. Kerry's outside commitments are done and they are back on my car. :Hurray:

The front lower fenders and cowl are installed, the door are installed and the basic alignment of the Mako nose is completee.

IMG_20231109_153309.jpg
IMG_20231109_153206.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20231109_153244.jpg
IMG_20231109_153303.jpg
nwav8tor
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict

Post by nwav8tor »

Ahh, progress is a good thing! Unfortunately I have none to report on my car...
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict

Post by rbryce1 »

Progress is being made on my car, but slow, as many wheels need to be invented here. The nose and cowls went on without many hiccups, but some alignment problems reared their ugly heads. :mad:

Most all custom body panels, mine included, have extra material added to ensure they are long enough to fit and require trimming to fit. Mine did not require a lot, but did need some. Also he was installing the new cowls and nose on a car that had already had some customizing done to it, and needed to make everything work. :)

An issue they ran into was the width of the bottom of the nose was about 1/2" wider than the matching cowls, so when the nose was closed, the nose stuck out about 1/4" on each side. :rolleyes:

Kerry fabricated an alignment mechanism that worked with the nose, the cowls and my inner enclosures, so when the nose was closed, they automatically came into alignment with each other. :thumbs:

IMG_20240117_113855.jpg

IMG_20240117_113847.jpg

Now the nose shuts great! Still needs some tweaking, but that will all be body work. :cheers:

IMG_20240117_113912.jpg

IMG_20240117_113917.jpg

IMG_20240117_113921.jpg

IMG_20240117_113926.jpg

Once the tweaking is done, They can measure the required closed and fully open lengths I will need to buy the correct Linear Actuators for opening and closing the nose.

Then it's on to the rear quarter panels!
:Hurray: