Well, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and today were really good days for the car.
Friday after work, I went out to re-connected the gas tank straps. Amazingly, both gas tank mounting straps went back on without any problems, just popped into place!
They are designed a bit different than the C2 tank mounts, same strap, different connectors.
Saturday, I started out by wiping out the small amount of gas still in the bottom of the tank, then cleaned it as best I could with Brakleen and dried it with lint free shop towels. Then I hooked the fuel hose from the tank back into the electric fuel pump and put 2 gallons of fuel into the tank. Checked for leaks, none!
Then I took the fuel hose from the chassis fuel line to the carburetor off, connected a clear hose from the chassis fuel line to a bucket with a paint filter in it, hooked up a battery to the fuel pump with a push button remote starter switch and pumped all of fuel out of the tank and into the bucket to flush out the fuel line, as I did not know if any creepy crawlers made a home inside the fuel line over the years.
I did get out a very small amount of small dirt particles, but nothing else. I drained the bucket of fuel into the gas can using another filter and put it back into the gas tank (non-ethanol fuel is 5 bucks a gallon, didn't feel like throwing away $10.00 worth of perfectly good gas, knowing it was clean and would be passing through 2 fuel filters before getting into the carburetor).
Then I put it all back together and, with the carburetor just sitting on the intake manifold, but with a plastic cover plate between the carburetor and the intake ports, I again pumped fuel, but this time into the carburetor to see if the floats were set right and the accelerator pumps worked.
The plastic cover plate came from the set of plastic covers I bought back when I built the engine, The covers were for storing the engine until it was ready to be installed and came with red plastic covers for the 8 exhaust ports, the distributor hole, the thermostat hole, the water pump holes and the intake manifold opening.
I used the intake manifold cover plate in case the floats did not shut off fuel when I filled the carburetor for the first time. This could cause the fuel bowls to fill, overflow gas into the intake manifold and down into the cylinders. Not good (read about this on line, decided it was a good precaution). If that did happen, the gas would not get into the intake manifold, just run out of the space between the carburetor and the plastic cover plate and into the pile of rags I had there just in case.
But, the brand new Holley did fine. Pump showed 7 psi of fuel pressure, no leaks, fuel floats were set just right and nothing leaked. Lifted up the carburetor, removed the plastic cover plate, installed the carburetor gasket and mounted the carburetor permanently.
Sunday, we had a Corvette Club event in the morning and in the afternoon, while watching the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen, the engine was set at 8 degrees advanced on the compression stroke, the distributor went in, the plugs went in, the ignition wires were installed installed.
Today after work, the radiator was mounted onto the new radiator support and the assembly went into the car. Boy was that a tight fit! Amazing how tight it is with the HP Dewitt radiator and the dual electric cooling fans.
I'm going to have to remove it later, as the radiator mount rubber bushings were not ordered yet (my bad!). Ordered them tonight. The lower radiator hose was also a very tight fit, but went on. Tomorrow after work, I fill the engine with distilled water and check for plumbing leaks. If I have any, I would rather drain distilled water than anti-freeze!
If there are no leaks, I can install the thermostat and housing, install the upper radiator hose and complete the fill of the radiator. After the engine start and cam run-in, I can drain the radiator back to the distilled water jugs, lift the radiator and install the rubber mounts, then re-fill the system with anti-freeze.
So this is where it sits as of tonight.
For now, it's Miller Time!