'65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

General discussion about C3 Corvettes
User avatar
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Posts: 1180
Joined: Apr 8th, 2010 4:35 pm
Tell us about your Corvette: 2001 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/350 hp Automatic,
1968 Full Custom Corvette Convertible, 454/425 hp, Muncie M20 Transmission. 1965 HP Resto-Mod Coupe, 350/390 hp, Kiesler 5-Speed, FiTech FI, Hedman headers, Edelbrock heads, Comp Cam.
Location: Pinellas Park, Florida

Re: '65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

Post by rbryce1 » Jun 8th, 2022 11:43 am

nwav8tor wrote:
Jun 8th, 2022 1:19 am
Truely an expensive trip from hell and it sux that KJ won't be doing the work you had planned. Good luck getting the new plan firmed up quickly!

A quick question: What should you have used to seal the fiberglass during those 7 years?

Actually, Kerry is going to do the work on the car with the Mako body. He would not do the work on my car's nose because he will not do the work if it cannot be done right, and my nose could not be done right without completely replacing all the fiberglass and rebuilding the entire understructure. It could have been done, but it would take months of labor and cost more than a C8.

What should I have done, as soon as the paint was removed, immediately completed the body work and put the body in primer sealer. Then it could sit without contaminates getting into the fiberglass pours. In my case, once the paint was removed and I was not going to do the body work immediately, the body should have been shot with a coat of primer sealer, which it was not. It could have easily been sanded later and the body work completed. I left it in a raw unprotected fiberglass state, which was the problem. The other issue was that I had sandblasted all the metal under-structure, the hinge supports, hood locking mechanisms and the attachment points for the gas lifts and they were never primed and painted. Since the 68 was in unconditioned storage, it was "out of sight, out of mind".

Looking back, it was actually stored in unconditioned storage without a car cover for 5 of the 6 years, and then moved to my fathers house and stored under a carport with a cover on it for another year. I had only expected to spent about 1-2 months getting the 65 ready and out for paint, but after finding all the issues with it, it took 6 years to complete. Once I got back to work on it, there was more major issues with the fiberglass and more rust on the metal than could be tolerated. I saw it had issues, but I didn't know how bad the issues were until Kerry looked at it and showed me. It's not that Kerry backed out, he told me the truth about what I had and what I would have if I continued.

This was all my fault. If I had not bought the 65, the 68 would be finished and winning car shows now. But, I wanted a midyear. Should have bought one that was already finished. Who would have thought!