Guests posting information to the Forum

Get help using the forum here
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 2001 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/350 hp Automatic,
1968 Full Custom Mako Shark Convertible, 454/425 hp, Muncie M20 Transmission. 1965 HP Resto-Mod Coupe, 350/390 hp, Kiesler 5-Speed, FiTech FI, Hedman headers, Edelbrock heads, Comp Cam.

Guests posting information to the Forum

Post by rbryce1 »

I'm a bit confused about something.

I have seen frequently where many are looking at the site as Guests (not logged in), but if I go to the page "Viewing who is on line", I see many times where Guests are shown as posting information to the forum. I didn't think this was possible.
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Re: Guests posting information to the Forum

Post by MaineVette »

The forum is set up so that only register users can post. If you're a guest browsing the forum you can click the "Reply" or "New Topic" buttons but you're immediately brought to a screen that prompts you to enter a username and password. Unless you have login information you can't get past that first screen.

Spammers regularly probe forums and attempt to post messages. What you may be seeing is spammers trying to determine if they can post as a guest. They access the site, click one of the two buttons noted above, and hope they can post a message. When they're at the screen that prompts them for a username and password it may be showing up that they're making a post. I haven't tested this, but I suspect that's the case.

Does that make sense?
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com