razor blade paint removal

Information about the tools and equipment featured on the Corvette Restoration Page
edr
Tell us about your Corvette: we have two corvettes a driver 1970 convertible and my wife has a nice 1990 C4 ,30k miles convertible

razor blade paint removal

Post by edr »

This is a short question but ,plain old steel razor blades or the plastic razor blades?
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Re: razor blade paint removal

Post by MaineVette »

I used simple steel razor blades. Worked like a charm taking off the top coat. It didn't do as well with the primer though. Either way, I'd definitely do it again. Just be very careful not to gouge the underlying fiberglass. :thumbs:
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com
edr
Tell us about your Corvette: we have two corvettes a driver 1970 convertible and my wife has a nice 1990 C4 ,30k miles convertible

Post by edr »

i have a book that mentions using razor blades too. I will wait until I retire before i tackle it. Thanks for the reply!
GregS_72
Tell us about your Corvette: '72 LS5 coupe, 454, PS, PB, PW, AC, tilt/tele... in the middle of a frameoff restomod

Post by GregS_72 »

Heat gun in combo with the razor blades worked really well. Often could get down to bare fiberglass in some areas... gouging the fiberglass is easy to do though!
1st Timer resto-modding a '72 LS5 coupe and blogging about the process at http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/ :crazy:
Bailys
Tell us about your Corvette: 1969 L46 4 spd convertible numbers matching I'm doing a complete frame off restoration (non-NCRS), now into the rebuild phase.

Post by Bailys »

:thumbs:
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Post by MaineVette »

GregS_72 wrote: Jun 29th, 2018 11:01 pm Heat gun in combo with the razor blades worked really well. Often could get down to bare fiberglass in some areas... gouging the fiberglass is easy to do though!
I was going to say the same thing, using heat would really soften the bonding compound and make it easy to gouge. I never thought to use head but I can see how it would help. Like anything else, patience and care is key to quality work! :thumbs:
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com