Tim's Power steering Pump Rebuild Possible Error

Want to discuss or ask questions about the restoration project featured on The Corvette Restoration Page? If so, this is the place!
nwav8tor
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe that's been in the family since new. Was "stored" in a shed in New England for 22 years. Even though I have limited knowledge and experience, I'm SLOWLY doing a body off restoration. Standby for many questions!

Tim's Power steering Pump Rebuild Possible Error

Post by nwav8tor » Nov 21st, 2021 2:31 am

Hi Tim, hope everything is going well up there in Ma(i)n(e)iac land!

I finally got around to re-building my steering ram cylinder and power steering pump and so of course I was reviewing your Power Steering Pump Rebuild section dated August 13, 2006. It's been 15 years and I wonder if you've run the rebuilt system much yet?

The reason I ask is that I think I may have observed an error on one of your pictures in that "article." In the 3rd to the last photo where you show the new o-ring on the high pressure union fitting on the back of the reservoir (indicated with an arrow), it appears that the o-ring is installed in the wrong location. The photo shows it on the inner most groove just above the threads, but my pump had it on the outer groove closest to the hex fitting. The inner groove on mine has a small hole in it that goes through to the center core so I think there shouldn't be an o-ring in that groove since it would interfere with the intended function of that hole. I think the saginaw pumps are pretty standardized in that respect so I don't believe there's any difference between model years or BB vs SB.

Additionally, this article - https://www.corvettemagazine.com/1963-1 ... p-rebuild/ clearly shows the o-ring installed in the outer groove in steps 31 and 44.

I don't know how much you've exercised the steering system since your initial test drive, but if it develops problems or leaks in the future, remember that this might be the culprit. It shouldn't bee too difficult to move it if required.

Cheers :cheers:

Paul