Looking for some advice - blowing out fuel lines

General discussion about C3 Corvettes
clrayjr
Tell us about your Corvette: I have a 1971 Ontario Orange 454 LS5 that had been sitting in a barn for a bit over 20 years. I am learning and can't wait to get it on the road.

Looking for some advice - blowing out fuel lines

Post by clrayjr » Feb 12th, 2018 1:17 pm

I have a 1971 454 C3 that was stored in a barn in 1995. It was running when it was put away but gas was left in the tank. Since having it at the house, I have replaced the gas tank, sending unit and the rubber gas lines from the tank to stainless steel lines. I have changed the spark plugs, the points and distributor as well as the oil and battery. At this point, the engine cranks but will not turn over. (I turned the engine by hand prior to any of the work I did).

I used a starter spray and sprayed it into the carburetor, the car turned over for about 3 seconds and then stopped. I am thinking that I am getting air and spark but I am not sure I am getting gas. I am thinking that I will need to change out the fuel pump as my next step but I am also wondering if I should blow out the gas lines. I should say that when I tried cranking it without using the spray, I could smell gas.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. I am hoping to get this back on the road this summer and the engine is a pretty big hurtle at this point!