- Posts: 2058
- Joined: Sep 7th, 2009 5:31 pm
- Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.
- Location: Waterboro, Maine
My favorite part is the old caulking tube.
I set the air wand to 15 psi with my regulator (which I verified with a separate gauge) and pressurized the pump. Water started leaking out everywhere immediately, the gasket on the back of the pump just wasn't sealing well. I decided to remove the backing plate and the screws were barely tight at all, just a bit more than finger tight. That probably didn't help things.
So, I decided to pull off the plate and install a new gasket with the addition of some black RTV as an insurance policy. The backing plate on the aluminum plate also seemed a bit thin when I pulled it off so I decided to compare it to the one on the old cast iron pump that was on the car when I bought it. The plate on the original pump was about 1/32" thicker than the one that was leaking. The thinner plate probably didn't help things either. At least both were fade of steel.
I decided to pull the plate from the old pump and installed it on the aluminum pump with a new gasket and some RTV. I tightened everything down, let the RTV cure overnight, and did a new pressure test. I'm happy to report the pump took 40 psi without leaking a drop! I didn't push it any further than that but my sense is that the problem is solved
Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com