'65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

General discussion about C3 Corvettes
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 1995 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/300 hp LT1 Automatic
1968 Full Custom Corvette Convertible, 454/425 hp, Turbo-Hydromatic 400 Transmission with shift kit and stall converter. 1965 High Performance Resto-Mod Coupe, 350 LT-1/390 hp Kiesler 5-Speed

Re: '65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

Post by rbryce1 » Jun 27th, 2019 9:45 am

Well, the '95 plates have been transferred to the 2001 and temp tags are now on the '95 so it can be test driven by any potential buyers. Major bummer though, now that the '95 is on Craig's list, The backup camera got stuck in reverse view, which means you cannot see the radio selection screen or the nav system map.

I took it in to Car Tunes, where I had bought it and they thought it was the little sensor that told it if the car was in reverse or not. Since nothing turns out to be that simple, especially when all you want is for things to work when you are selling the car, it turned out the main unit had bitten the dust. Choices were to leave it alone and let the future owner decide what they wanted to do, which doesn't help in selling the car, or re-install the original radio, which had the 1980's technology of an AM/FM radio and a cassette deck, which is so far obsolete that it would be more of a problem than no radio at all, or replace the unit with a new one.

I decided to bite the bullet and replace the unit. The new unit now has AM/FM/Sirius/Bluetooth digital radio, that has the rear view camera as well. You can even bluetooth Google Maps with the unit via my cell phone and using the cell phones map and GPS get navigation. I figured that even though this cost me an unexpected $400 installed, it will be a major selling point and something that should be desirable as well.

Saturday I take it back to the shop that painted the front bumper 9 years ago to have it repainted again (under warranty) to correct some places where the clear bubbled.

Other than that, all my attention is currently on the '65. Jamison's in Charleston cannot schedule it in anytime this year, as they are already overbooked with work on several complete body off restores ( 2 of which are behind schedule) and some committed insurance work, but they can take it right after the first of the year. They told me about a Corvette shop in Melbourne Florida that they know and regularly work with, as they build tubular frames for Jamison's. Kerry says they do incredible paint work and he would not be upset at all if I decided to have them do the paint job to finish the car sooner. Their name is Ace's Auto body @ https://www.facebook.com/Aces-Autobody- ... 925437470/

I talked with them, looked at their work on line (they have a really LOT of incredible reviews from past customers), sent them photos of my car and I am scheduled to take the car to them late July early August. When I pick it up, all it will need is the interior installed and it will be finished. Until then, I will be just cleaning it up as best as I can. They said not to high build prime it and sand, as they are going to do it all over again, and they don't want a heavy build up of primer. They will fix anything they see wrong, paint it with the high build primer, final sand and die coat, re-seal, paint base coat, paint clear coat, buff and polish and reassemble.

Can't wait!