Bodywork question

General discussion about C3 Corvettes
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Bodywork question

Post by MaineVette » Oct 18th, 2014 2:34 pm

OK guys, I've got a question for those of you who've done a fair bit of body work.

I'm doing some body work and am using body filler to smooth out the joints between various panels, etc. I'm using good body filler and a couple different sized sanding blocks to get everything smoothed out and as even as I can.

My question is, how do you go about determining when to stop sanding? I've feathered my edges out so they're milky/semi-transparent looking and it certainly feels smooth when I run my hand over the repair, but I don't trust myself quite yet. I'm worried that I'm over or under sanding and, when I paint, I'll see my reflection waving back at me. :ack:

I was planning to check my work by wetting the surface with water or paint thinner to develop a gloss. My thought was that this would show any imperfections but it turns out that doesn't work - I just can't build a glossy surface over the bare body filler & fiberglass. I suspect the same will be true for the sanding sealer.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com