Removing the front clip

General discussion about C3 Corvettes
ktruff46
Tell us about your Corvette: 1974 base model. Mostly original but far from perfect. Been working on it for better part of 7 years. Body has been removed from chassis, chassis repaired and restored. Working on the mechanicals of the chassis as time/money allows.

Removing the front clip

Post by ktruff46 » Aug 24th, 2013 10:22 pm

Well,
I finally got moving on the removal of the front clip on my 74. Engine, wiring, vacuum lines, etc. have been out for some time but the project stalled for many months due to traveling extensively for work lately. I got all the bonding seams separated without much fanfare, only had one area on the drivers side that cracked at the bonding strip and one small area of the firewall on the passenger side that I had to cut because it would just not separate from the fender.
My son is coming over tomorrow and he will help me lift the clip off, for those who haven't done this before, think extremely hard before diving into this project. As you can see in Tim's post on the restoration pages, it's not for the faint of heart and a lot of work. I needed to remove mine because of all the cancer in the birdcage that can't be reached with the front clip still in place. I will post pictures once I have the clip and firewall removed. Good thing is I am on vacation this coming week so I plan to spend lots of time working on the Vette. Plus, it's only supposed to be in the low to mid 90's so it won't be too hot. I AM in SoCal so it really isn't too hot..lol