'65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

General discussion about C3 Corvettes
rbryce1
Corvette Addict
Corvette Addict
Tell us about your Corvette: 2001 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/350 hp Automatic,
1968 Full Custom Corvette Convertible, 454/425 hp, Turbo-Hydromatic 400 Transmission with shift kit and stall converter. 1965 High Performance Resto-Mod Coupe, 350 LT-1/390 hp Kiesler 5-Speed

Re: '65 Coupe Resto-Mod and '68 Full Custom Restoration

Post by rbryce1 » Feb 10th, 2021 9:51 am

MaineVette wrote:
Feb 6th, 2021 11:34 pm
It's odd your heater core was clogged up with a bunch of gunk. I've only heard of that happening when folks put radiator sealant in their coolant to try and fix a slow leak. It may be time to flush the system to help ensure your radiator doesn't end up with the same problem as the heater core. Overheating isn't fun and it always seems to happen at the worst time possible. :rolleyes:
That one was really unexpected, but the truck is a 1992 truck, 18+ years old. It did not take hardly anything to get it clear, as all I needed to do was blow into the return hose with my mouth and the biggest part came right out. It was all liquid muck, not dried or solid gunk, but it was just enough to stop flow of coolant through the core. I don't think it was even in the tubes, just covering the entrance of the tubes. It only took about 5 minutes of reverse flushing after that to produce 100% clear water from the core. The radiator was replaced about 8 years ago and the thermostat and water pump replaced about 3 months ago. I'm going to flush the whole system right after I get the car back. Call me superstitious, but I don't want to do anything that may stop the truck from running until the Corvette is back.

I will also be replacing the trucks windshield as it has had a small leak at the top for a short while now, and it's not getting better with age. It also has turned to a white clouded like something around the entire edge of the whole windshield. Maybe starting to delaminate or something, but it does look like crap and may even be the source of the leak. Not doing that until after the Corvette comes back from Charleston! With my luck, if I take the windshield out now, the frame will be rusted and not be able to receive a new one without needing windshield frame repair, which will nix the trip. If I wait until the Corvette is back, odds are that will not be the case because I will not NEED the truck! At least it is a very small leak and the truck windshield has the same seal as other late model cars, not the stupid double flange rubber gasket the C2 Corvettes have. Sure glad they shitcanned that design with the C3!