- Corvette Addict
- Posts: 976
- Joined: Apr 8th, 2010 4:35 pm
- Tell us about your Corvette: 1995 Targa Top Coupe, Stock 350/300 hp LT1 Automatic
1968 Full Custom Corvette Convertible, 454/425 hp, Turbo-Hydromatic 400 Transmission with shift kit and stall converter. 1965 High Performance Resto-Mod Coupe, 350 LT-1/390 hp Kiesler 5-Speed
- Location: Pinellas Park, Florida
The 350 in the '65 has 4 bolt mains (and has already seen over 6K!). Plus the fact that both engines are precision balanced helps a lot also.
Pistons are all installed and ready to rotate. The camera flash really makes the surface rust in the coolant passages look gross, but they really are not as bad as they appear, it's just a thin film that can be wiped off with your finger. Anti-freeze should eliminate that without any problems.
I installed flat top pistons to work best with the high compression 100 cc heads I bought as far as compression ratio goes. Some big blocks today have a dished piston to reduce the compression, while the engines from the 60's & 70's had domed pistons to radically increase their compression. Unfortunately, pumped gas does not allow for a lot of compression. This is the most I could get and use pumped gas.
The small holes in the pistons are not balancing holes, they are to verify the pistons are install correctly, The pistons have an offset wristpin and need to be installed properly to have the desired effect of reducing piston noise. Also, the wristpin offset direction is towards the major thrust side of the engine. The holes all must be towards the front of the engine. All the weight removed from the pistons during balancing came from the underside of the piston. They weigh them all, take the weight of the lightest piston and remove metal from each of the others to make them all the same weight as the lightest one. They only needed to make a few drill holes about 1/8th in diameter to accomplish this.
Lots of cam lube on the cam lobes to protect it on engine startup.
High performance oil pump installed. Once the oil pickup screen was in the correct position, we spot welded it to the pump to make sure it could not move. I have seen destroyed engines with the oil pump pickup sitting in the bottom of the oil pan before, and that is not happening here!
Oil Pan on with lots of stainless steel bolts.
Harmonic Balancer installed.
Today we installed and torqued the Edelbrock aluminum high performance Performer RPM heads. I needed to move the pushrod guides to get enough clearance for the socket to fit on the bolts! Glad that needed to be done, because the bolts holding them in place were not torqued at all by Edelbrock! I will most likely grind out a little bit of the pushrod guides to allow a socket to clear the bolts. The area needing to be ground out is in the center of the "S" where the guide piece goes around the bolts, and I only need to remove about 1/32" to allow the socket to clear. This is nowhere near the actual pushrod guide portion of the part, and it will allow me to re-torque the heads after engine startup without removing the rockers and pushrods to again remove the pushrod guides.
This coming week I hope to install the Lifters, Push Rods, Roller Rockers, and adjust the valves. Then install the Intake Manifold and cover everything with the chrome Valve Covers.
Getting there. It's interesting working on both Corvettes at the same time now.