Air Compressor

Information about the tools and equipment featured on the Corvette Restoration Page
MaineVette
Administrator
Administrator
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe, restoration in progress.

Air Compressor

Post by MaineVette » Nov 1st, 2009 8:14 pm

Currently I'm using a Craftsman air compressor I purchased from Sears many years ago. Specifically, it's a 30 gallon unit with a motor rated at 6HP peak / 2HP running. The compressor can put out 6.4 scfm (standard cubic feet per minute) @ 90 psi.

I've actually found this compressor to be undersided for certain tasks. For instance, it's barely big enough (and probably a bit undersized) for continuous use of air tools such as die grinders and DA sanders. For sandblasting it's totally and completely undersized. :ack:

Obviously buying a new compressor big enough to power a sandblaster on it's own did not seem practical (the cost of the compressor would be significant). Instead, I borrowed a second compressor from a friend and then used a tee fitting to combine the feeds from both compressors. The result was an air supply capable of providing about 12 scfm @ 90 psi which worked great for sandblasting. Together the units were capable of actually maintaining between 60 and 80 psi during continous sandblasting (depending on the tip size). By combining these units I was able to triple, or perhaps even quadruple, my sandblasting progress. The difference was night and day, and it sure beat buying another compressor!

For all my other tasks this compressor has worked well and I haven't felt the need to purchase another one. However, when this one does die I expect I'll purchase a new unit that's a bit larger.
Someday I'll finally be able to drive my Vette, but for now I'll just admire all the pieces... :willy:

Track my progress at The Corvette Restoration Page http://www.corvette-restoration.com