69 Rear Clip Replacement

Want to discuss or ask questions about the restoration project featured on The Corvette Restoration Page? If so, this is the place!
brt0100
Tell us about your Corvette: I own a '69 coupe that I am frame-off restoring.

69 Rear Clip Replacement

Post by brt0100 » Mar 5th, 2014 12:08 am

I am in the middle of a frame off restoration of my 69 big block coupe. The rolling frame is complete and I just removed the front clip and firewall. Currently I am repairing the firewall and window frame.

I have previous damage to both rear quarters and the back of the deck where it turns up, and someone made a lot of questionable repairs with fiberglass cloth. I would appreciate your advice on a couple of topics.

Do you recommend that I remove the rear deck and quarter panels as one piece, or would it be easier to remove the quarter panels and the rear deck separately?

Should I replace the rear clip with individual components (i.e. quarter panels, deck, etc.) , or a new one-piece rear clip? ACI makes a nice one piece rear clip that includes everything except the exhaust panel, but I worry about how difficult it will be to fit up the one piece clip.

Thanks for all of your hard work and posts. I never would have tackled this project without the info I found here!