Body Dolly Height

Want to discuss or ask questions about the restoration project featured on The Corvette Restoration Page? If so, this is the place!
nwav8tor
Tell us about your Corvette: 1971 Coupe that's been in the family since new. Was "stored" in a shed in New England for22 years. Even though I have limited knowledge and experience, I'm doing a body off restoration. Standby for many questions!

Re: Body Dolly Height

Post by nwav8tor » Mar 5th, 2014 1:52 pm

brt0100 wrote:If I had it to do all over again, I would space the bottom cross bar high enough off the floor so that my engine hoist rolls under the dolly. Now that I have my front clip removed, it is convenient to hang the cage and rear clip from my engine hoist. The problem is that I can't roll the hoist under the dolly to drop the body back onto the dolly. I have to block the body dolly up off the floor to set the body back onto it!
Have you thought of just simply installing bigger casters or wheels on the dolly? That might be all that's needed to have the dolly clear the legs of your hoist...

The point you bring up is a very good one however. Others may gain a huge benefit from it. In my case, I'll be using a chain hoist hung from an overhead beam, so floor clearance wasn't a consideration.

Paul