More history (many pics)

Off-Topic and Non-Corvette Related Discssion
IndyVette
Tell us about your Corvette: C5 (2004) Spiral Gray Metallic Convertible
C3 (1980) Black resto project

More history (many pics)

Post by IndyVette » Sep 4th, 2011 9:47 am

As it happens, we live about 10 miles from one of the largest car auctions in the country, held on Labor Day weekend. It's part of the "Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg" festival that celebrates these old cars. This year, there were 1200 collector cars on the auction block, and at least 100 amazing Corvettes. There we so many you couldn't take pictures of them all. Not a single 1970, or I *would* have snapped a ton for research purposes. (One swap meet vendor did have a 1970 LS-5 engine disassembled for sale, so it was cool to see what I'll be getting into when I build mine...crank was huge...must weigh 100lbs).

Anyway, there was this one Corvette. :) To my knowledge, only 6 1953's are known to exist, and how many are NCRS Top Flights? This may be one of the 2 or 3 left in the world. What was really cool was...there it sat. No armed guard. No rails to keep you away. Selfishly, I ran my hands over it in all sorts of places. If she were a woman, I'm sure I would have been arrested. :)

Some pics:

This '67 427/435 was just too cherry not to get a shot of. If I won the lotto... :)

"Mike" owns this '66 BB. Said he'll miss it when it's gone, but he's getting on in age and it was time. If I had the bucks...can only imagine what it sold for. When I finish with my '70, they'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

OK, so it's not a Corvette. But it's a damn fine piece of American history. This, guys, is a 1973 Trans Am SD 455. First year for the SD (and they didn't last long). Another car I'd buy if I had more than adequate means of support. Or if not this, a 1970 T/A. But wow...what a car. Amazing.

I am developing this thing for tri-power cars. :) Is that not a thing of beauty?

Oh, just another '71 LT-1. There were so many of these things sitting around, you'd think they were commonplace. Everyone has one, right? But this one struck me. "Clean" doesn't even describe it, and it's just sitting on the grass, out in the lot. Just another car. Wow.

This one I took because...well because the car was just plain cool. It's a 1934 Duesenberg, and although not something I think I'd get into, I can see why people admire these cars. It's a convertible, and the rear seat has its own windshield (folded down). Really somethin' to see.

The auction is now teamed with Carlisle, so it's growing even larger. If you're not doing anything next Labor Day, it's probably worth the drive, especially if you're looking for that special Corvette (or other collector car).
-Kenn